A few years ago, Pat and I watched the movie The Bucket List. He then decided that he wanted to run a marathon before he died. So, I thought I'd train with him. Except, that only led to me running a dozen or so 5Ks. I'm getting from that, that was not a realistic drop in the bucket. So, here's my "real" bucket list (and the reasons for each entry):
1. Read the top 10 Classics - I don't even really know what they are, but I love to read and want to be well read.
2. Watch all the movies people constantly quote - I don't like it when people say, "What do you mean you haven't seen that movie?"...kinda makes me feel like I'm uneducated.
3. Go to Spain - Something I've wanted to do since I began taking Spanish in high school. I'm nowhere near mastery of the language, but I want to see La Tomatina, and the running of the bulls. Plus I'd like to take a million pictures of the landscape and culture.
4. Get a degree in photography - I am a self-proclaimed photographer but have only ever taken 1 class. Although it was greatly helpful, I want to learn more. It's not that I necessarily want photography to be my profession, but I would like to be able to do something with it.
5. Publish 3 books; a children's book, a coffee-table photography book, and a novel - I love to write, and feel like I have some really good stories somewhere inside of me. I also think I'm good at writing rhyming couplets---which would be the children's book. The coffee-table book will be a collection of photographs of North Carolina's old barns/buildings that are completely worn down. Along with the photographs will be the history and location of each building.
6. Learn to love vegetables - I am a "vegetarian" who hates vegetables. Well, that's not completely true. I love corn and peas and lettuce and tomatoes and potatoes and carrots. Anything else, YUCK! I want to learn to love broccoli, asparagus, squash, zucchini, spinach (and that will be a milestone b/c I would rather shoot off my foot than eat spinach)...etc.
7. Start completely over in a new state - I've done this before, so this probably shouldn't be on my Bucket List. However, I created an amazing life for myself when I left MI for NC. Now that I'm married, I'd love to pick up (with my husband) and both start somewhere new together. We've talked about it and have a general idea of where that would be...
8. Celebrate a 50th (wedding) Anniversary - This means I will defy divorce. I will do whatever I can to stay with my husband, whatever I can. I want to be one of the few who stay married through thick and thin. I want to love him more than I ever thought possible, especially when I am 80 years old.
9. Get my doctorate in education...or curriculum - I am the kind of person who can't sit still...even to watch a movie. I have to constantly be doing something. This pertains to my career, too. Once I grow comfortable in what I do...I feel the urge to do something more/new. I have a feeling that within the next 10 years that will mean getting my doctorate. With my doctorate, I would like to become an assistant superintendent of curriculum/instruction...or teach at a University.
10. Learn to ski or snowboard - Some friends and I tried this a few years back but chickened out. If I move to my new location (see #7), I'd have to know how to ski or snowboard because it would be a waste of location not to. I'm terrified of heights also, and had a bad experience on a tow rope in 5th grade...so this will help me overcome my fears/past.
MORE TO COME??? As I complete something on my list hopefully I will update it with something new. I guess #8 will be on here until I'm 80. :)